Monday, September 20, 2010

A mum's return to work story to inspire others

Here's a wonderful story from a mum we recently supported back to work that provides inspiration to other mums who are thinking of taking the plunge...

Aleksha's story
I cannot tell you how nervous I was when I had my first phone interview with the CIO for my new job that I recently started. After the interview, I felt that I could have said so much more and so many things better but I kept everything crossed and prayed that I had got the job. Later that evening I heard from mums@work that I was successful and had to start later that week. Panic struck again...was I ready???

I arrived at 8am and met the CIO who seemed really nice. She took me around the various floors and introduced me to so many people.
When I finally sat at my desk, I kept thinking...am I Ready, will I be okay?

But I was surprised how the day rolled on. I must admit in the first week, there were times I would think I used to know this and at other times, things came back to me in a flash. In the last two and a half weeks, I have gone through this cycle a few times now.

I am really enjoying being back at work and I don’t seem to mind the early starts (5.00 am) to get things organised at home and then start work at 7.30am before finishing at 2.00pm to pick my girls up on time from school.

It’s amazing how the family has adapted to the change, it's so seamless. Life is busier and things have to be even more organised. (I swear I thought it was already organised but obviously there was room for improvement).

To all the fantastic mums who are thinking of returning back to work.....Go for it. You can do it !!!

You will truly surprise yourself. After the 100 million things we juggle with children and the endless lists of things to remember, working is not too hard even after a break. And the fact that the brain cells are being used for other things does so much good for you as a person.

And a little secret.....No one except you knows how nervous you are...so let it be a MUM secret. And may the forces unite as there is nothing a Mum cannot accomplish.

I hope my story inspires other working mums.

No comments: